Mt Adams marches on

Progress continues on Mt Adams...

Gluing on the inclines continued over the weekend and before long I had everything fixed down. Here it is part way through:

Tape measures, rolls of solder, stepper motors and scuba weights all lending a hand to keep things flat!

I did a test fit with the lower station and noticed that the east end of the loop had quite a sharp kink in it, whereas the west end flowed much more smoothly.

The more I looked at it, the more it bugged me. So tonight I printed out a new alignment and went about fixing things. I figured now is the time to fix it, before I start gluing things down. And if I'd gone to all the effort to hand lay the track, I'd better be happy with it!

Here you can see the difference between the old alignment and proposed new alignment.

So I unsoldered the rails and cut out the sleepers. I then chopped the strips of sleepers into little blocks and glued the back down on the new alignment.

Next came some very careful tweaking of the rails to realign them. And soon enough it was all done.

Much better.

With the inclines done, I need something to glue the track to. Cork is traditional, having good sound deadening qualities. I have some 1 ft square cork flooring tiles which work nicely. So while Mrs A was out galavanting around the finer restaurants in town, I spent the evening cutting out strips of cork.

Once all the cork is glued down I can add in the plywood base for the upper station, and then track laying can begin!

Newer Older


Tuesday, May 17 2016, 11:32 AM JDLowe says...
It's looking good!